Ayurvedic treatment for Acne/ Pimples:
(Ayurvedic terminology)Mukh-dushika/ Yuvan-pidaka
Definition and Introduction:
This condition is most common amongst young people hence this is called as ‘Yuvan-pidaka’. It presents mostly on the face and become face ugly so called as ‘Mukh-dushika’. In general, women are affected more often than men. Hormonal disturbances may cause this disease in adolescents. Although it is a common inflammatory disease of the pilo sebacesous follicles, which is secondarily infected resulting in papules, pustules, cysts, nodules and scars. It is also related with disturbance of menstrual cycle and digestive tract problems.
Causes for Acne | Pimples:
Acne is a disorder due to vitiation of Vata, Pitta and Kapha. However Pitta vitiation is the predominant factor. Pitta vitiates the blood and the skin to form acne.
Ayurvedic Treatment for Acne | Ayurvedic Treatment for Pimples:
Tips for removal of Acne and Pimples:
- Treat the patient according to the cause like disturbance in menstrual cycle or gastro-intestinal track problem.
- Depending upon whether the skin is too dry, too oily or whether infection is present, different type of treatment must be given.
- If the skin is oily and inflammation is present, go for fomentation on face by using water vapor first and then apply medicated paste of Dhanyak (Coriander seeds), Vacha (Root of Acorus calamus), Lodhra (Bark of Symplocos racemosa) and Multani Mitti once or twice a day. When the paste become dry on face, remove it immediately by simple wash.
- For dry skin, gently massage the ‘Kumkumadi oil’ on face twice a day.
- According to Charaka (School of Ayurvedic medicine), the best ten ayurvedic herbs for internal use in this condition of acne or pimples are: Khadira (Stem of Acacia catechu), Haritaki (Fruit of Terminalia chebula), Amalaki (Fruit of Embalica officinalis), Haridra (Curcuma longa/ Turmeric), Bhallatak (Fruit of Semecarpus anacardium after purification), Saptaparna (Bark of Alstonia scholaris), Aragwadha (Fruit and leaves of Cassia fistula), Karveer (Root of Nerium indicum), Vidanga (Seeds of Embelica ribes) and Jatipravaal (Leaves of Jasminum officinale).
Specific line of treatment:
- Shodhana Chikitsa (Purification of body):
In Vata predominant (Dry) type, intake of medicated ghee is advisable. In Kapha predominant type (Oily), medicated emesis (vomiting) should be choice of treatment and in Pitta predominant type (Infected), medicated purgation or bloodletting is advisable.
Before purification, proper oleation with ‘medicated ghrita’ (different types of medicated clarified butters prepared with ayurvedic medicinal herbs) should be taken. Khadira grita, Darvi grita, Patola grita, Panchtikta grita or Mahatiktak grita should be used for it.
Tips for Acne & Pimples Treatment:
It is necessary not to squeeze the acne or the pimples on the face. This precaution is a must when infected acne is present in the area of lips. Also do not excoriate the acne.
One should follow the ‘ayurvedic life-style’ (given on the home page of this website) during entire treatment.
Some of the famous ayurvedic formulations for Acne/ pimples have given below.
For internal use:
1) Trivritadi churna (An ayurvedic formula in powder form contains Trivrit, Nilini and Katuki)
2) Tablets: Samsamani vati, Kalingadi vati, Rasvanti vati, Kirat-tiktadi vati
3) Medicated wine: Khadirarishta
4) Decoctions: Pathyadi kwath, Guduchyadi kwath
5) Medicated grita: Panchtikta grita, Khadira grita, Patola grita, Mahatiktak grita
Acne marks removal Creams | Herbal Pastes (For external use only):
1) Acnowin ointment
2) Lepa (Medicated herbal paste): Gloface lepa (Jark pharma), Acnil lepa(Punarvasu pharma)
3) Kumkumadi oil (For dry skin)